Dowemo
0 0 0 0


Question:

I am getting errors similar to the ones inthesequestions, except mine are occuring on Heroku:

2011-05-30T09:03:29+00:00 heroku[worker.1]: Starting process with command: `rake jobs:work`
2011-05-30T09:03:30+00:00 app[worker.1]: (in /app)
2011-05-30T09:03:30+00:00 heroku[worker.1]: State changed from starting to up
2011-05-30T09:03:33+00:00 app[worker.1]: rake aborted!
2011-05-30T09:03:33+00:00 app[worker.1]: uninitialized constant Rake::DSL
2011-05-30T09:03:33+00:00 app[worker.1]: /app/.bundle/gems/ruby/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.0/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:8:in `<class:TaskLib>'

The answer in those questions seems to be to specify gem 'rake', '0.8.7' because the 0.9 version causes the problem.

When I try to add gem 'rake', '0.8.7' to my gemfile and push to Heroku I get this error:

Unresolved dependencies detected; Installing...
You have modified your Gemfile in development but did not check
the resulting snapshot (Gemfile.lock) into version control
You have added to the Gemfile:
* rake (= 0.8.7)
FAILED: http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/bundler
! Heroku push rejected, failed to install gems via Bundler
error: hooks/pre-receive exited with error code 1
To git@heroku.com:my_app.git
! [remote rejected] master -> master (pre-receive hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@heroku.com:my_app.git'

My gemfile normally works fine on Heroku. What should I do?


Best Answer:


I solved this, finally, after a lot of mucking about. The short version of what I did, missing out the many experiments, was this:

1) change the Gemfile to specify Rake 0.8.7

#in Gemfile
gem "rake", "0.8.7"

2) Take out a hack that I had previously added to Rakefile based on Stack Overflow question Ruby on Rails and Rake problems: uninitialized constant Rake::DSL:

So, my Rakefile is now back to being the standard Rakefile for my app:

# Add your own tasks in files placed in lib/tasks ending in .rake,
# for example lib/tasks/capistrano.rake, and they will automatically be available to Rake.
require File.expand_path('../config/application', __FILE__)
require 'rake'
MyApp::Application.load_tasks

3) Change Heroku to run my app in Ruby 1.9.2:

heroku stack:migrate bamboo-mri-1.9.2 --app myapp
git push heroku master

And it seems fine now - the scheduled cron task is running anyway.

EDIT: It did run fine, once, then blew up again next time I pushed something! Arrgh. I think I fixed it now, with the addition of the delayed_job gem, based on the conversation Don't know how to build task jobs:work.

Installing delayed_job doesn't seem like a great solution, but it HAS worked, and I might want to use it sometime I guess, especially with Heroku's once-per-hour cron job (which just isn't frequent enough - there are things I'll probably want to run every five minutes). After I installed the delayed_job gem I had to do the setup for it, otherwise Heroku complains about the missing delayed_jobs table:

#add to gemfile
gem 'delayed_job'
#at command line
bundle install
rails g delayed_job
rake db:migrate
git add -A
git commit -a -m "added delayed_job gem"
git push
heroku rake db:migrate --app myapp
heroku restart --app myapp



Copyright © 2011 Dowemo All rights reserved.    Creative Commons   AboutUs